Muslimin Damanhuri is a Partner with the Tax and Customs Practice at Assegaf Hamzah & Partners; and a lecturer for subject matters of "Taxation" and "International Tax" in the Faculty of Economics and Business, Universitas Indonesia ("FEBUI"). Prior to joining Assegaf Hamzah & Partners, he was financial controller for seven years at another leading law firm, prior to which he served as manager of tax and legal services with one of the big four accounting firms for ten years.
A 1997 "Graduate of the Year" of Universitas Indonesia, where he majored in accounting, Muslimin went on to graduate cum laude with a master’s degree in management from the same university in 2012, majoring in financial management.
Muslimin has extensive experience of Indonesian tax advisory, compliance and dispute resolution work across a wide variety of industries. He has advised a number of major state-owned companies, foreign and domestic investors, construction and development companies, and foreign investment banks on tax matters, both in relation to the overall structure of their investments and the structuring of individual transactions.
In particular, he possesses in-depth expertise in tax planning and modelling, conducting tax reviews and due diligence exercises, and handling tax refunds and audits. He has also successfully led a number of special tax projects for major international companies.
In dealing with the complexity and opacity of Indonesian tax regulations, which results in frequent misunderstandings and misinterpretations, Muslimin has enabled his clients to make tax savings, reduce tax exposure, and ensure full compliance with the regulations.
Muslimin is recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 and 2018 editorials for tax matters and having ‘a very good knowledge of tax’ and ‘an excellent relationship with local tax authorities’.
Notable Cases & Transactions
- Advising a number of private bankers based in Singapore on Indonesian tax analysis for Indonesian tax residents holding various investment instruments and life insurance products issued by offshore insurers (2016-2017).
- Advising an insurance company based in Singapore on Indonesian tax analysis for Indonesian insured and/or policyholder holding offshore life insurance products issued by a Singapore insurer, including Variable Universal Life and Private Placement Life Insurance (2016-2017).
- Advising a Singapore private equity fund on tax structuring of its investments in Indonesia (2016-2017).
- Advising an accounting firm based in Singapore on tax analysis of offshore insurance products by Indonesian insured and/or policyholder (2017).
- Advising a multinational technology company providing value-added solutions to mobile telecommunication network operators in Indonesia on Indonesian tax implications of various scenario for the service provisions (2016-2017).
- Advising a number of Indonesian tax-resident High Net-Worth Individuals to analyze their wealth and investment structures, identify potential tax liabilities under the Indonesian tax laws and regulations, pros and cons in participating in the Amnesty program and provide tax analysis on the repatriated funds under the Tax Amnesty law (2016-2017).
- Assisting a number of High Net-Worth Individuals to participate in the Tax Amnesty program, arrange all necessary documentations, calculation and payment of redemption money, filing the Amnesty application and obtaining the Amnesty certificates to entitle to the Tax Amnesty benefits, and assist in the Tax Amnesty post-filing (2016-2017).
- Advising a UK-based multinational company to implement its multi-jurisdictional reorganization for Indonesian hospitality business (2016-2017).
- Advising a Singapore construction company on tax structuring of its Engineering, Procurement, and Construction ("EPC") contract to build a biogas power plant (2016-2017).
- Representing an Indonesian subsidiary of a France-based company having a business in cybersecurity, networking and infrastructure technologies on Indonesian customs dispute before the Indonesian Tax Court (2017 - Ongoing).
- Advising a Singapore investment firm on various structures for having a property project in Bali, Indonesia (2017).
- Representing a large Indonesian construction and engineering service provider in the 2015 all taxes audit by Indonesian Tax Office (2017 – Ongoing).
- Advising a Foreign Investment Company, a subsidiary of United States of America multinational company, in relation to its business expansion in Indonesia (2016).
- Advising an Italian company in relation to the possible tax liability for their representative office in Indonesia (2016).
- Representing a Japanese trading company in 2013 Corporate Income Tax objection with the Indonesian Tax Office (2015 – Ongoing).
- Representing two UK oil and gas companies in 2009 Branch Profit Tax appeals before the Tax Court (2016 - Ongoing).
- Representing two UK oil and gas companies in 2010 – 2013 (4 years) Branch Profit Tax objections with the Indonesian Tax Office (2016 - Ongoing).
- Representing a Bermuda oil and gas company in 2014 Corporate Income Tax and Branch Profit Tax objections with the Indonesian Tax Office (2016 - Ongoing).
- Representing two UK oil and gas companies in 2014 Corporate Income Tax and Branch Profit Tax objections with the Indonesian Tax Office (2016 - Ongoing).
- Representing an Australia oil and gas company in 2014 Corporate Income Tax and Branch Profit Tax objections with the Indonesian Tax Office (2016 - Ongoing).
- Representing a Canada oil and gas company in 2014 Corporate Income Tax and Branch Profit Tax objections with the Indonesian Tax Office (2016 - Ongoing).
- Advising a group of school company in relation to business restructuring (2015).
- Advising a large Crude Palm Oil company in relation to Value Added Tax ("VAT") Implications of the Purchase of Fresh Fruit Bunches from plasma farmers and/or cooperatives (2015).
- Advising a mutual fund company in relation to Corporate Income Tax Implications of Reksa Dana Dollar Penyertaan Terbatas ("RDPT") (2015).
- Successfully representing an Indonesian subsidiary of Singapore technology company in 2017 tariff classification dispute with the Indonesian Customs and Excise Office (2018).
- Successfully representing an Indonesian Crude Palm Oil derivative products company in 2014 customs dispute with the Indonesian Customs and Excise Office (2015).
- Successfully assisting a Singapore foreign-investment company to prepare contra memory against a judicial review submitted by the Director General of Taxes to the Supreme Court (2015).
- Successfully representing an Indonesian property company in 2010 Value Added Tax dispute with the Indonesian Tax Office (2015).
- Advising a United States of America Trading Representative Office in relation to its business restructuring in Indonesia (2015).
- Advising an Indonesian Crude Palm Oil derivative products company on 2014 customs review (2014).
- Advising a Singapore information technology company in relation to Tax Implications of the Enterprise Mobility Solutions (Cloud Based Solutions Services) (2014).
- Advising a Malaysia property company on tax structuring of its residential project in Indonesia (2014).
- Certificate C Tax Consultant License Number: SI-3005/PJ/2014
- Tax Court Attorney License Number: KEP-437/PP/IKH/2017
- Chartered Accountant License Number: No.11.D44535 Sert.CA-8979
- Customs Expert License Number: 8187/DAK/BC/2015.
- Member of the Indonesian Tax Consultants Association (Ikatan Konsultan Pajak Indonesia/"IKPI")
- Member of the Indonesian Institute of Accountants (Ikatan Akuntan Indonesia/"IAI").
- Workshop and Seminar on Restructuring Tax and Estate Planning for Indonesian Clients: CFC Rules in Indonesia: How is Indonesia preparing for BEPS action no. 3? What are the specificities of the interpretation of this rule by the Indonesia Tax Administration?
- Seminar on the Year of Law Enforcement: Anticipation and Management of Tax Disputes.