Iqsan is a General Corporate/M&A and Technology, Media and Telecommunications lawyer with a particular interest on privacy and data protection issues.
He has advised domestic and international clients from a broad range of sectors, including banking, financial services, telecommunications, healthcare, automotive, on cloud computing, Internet-of-things, over-the-top, blockchain, cyrptocurrency, fintech, cybersecurity and data protection matters. As testaments of his professionalism, he has been recognized by Asialaw Profiles in 2019 as a “Rising Star” M&A lawyer in Indonesia and by Chambers Asia Pacific in 2022 as an “Associate to Watch” in the Indonesian TMT.
In privacy and data protection field, Iqsan has substantial experience advising on a full range of matters, from negotiating privacy and data protection issues as part of complex technology transactions and designing internal data protection policies, advising clients following data incidents, to carrying out researches for and advising the Indonesian government on a variety of topics related to privacy and data protection.
- Advising one of Indonesia’s unicorn start-ups, in relation to a data theft incident that was reported to affect the data of 91 million users. The data incident was one of largest data-related incidents in Indonesia and the case was widely covered by the media and the public as the client is one of the most well-known e-commerce platforms in the country.
- Advised one of Indonesia’s unicorn start-ups, in setting up a joint venture company with a multinational technology company, which is also one of the largest Indonesian automotive groups. The JV company will be incorporated to carry out the distribution/resale of a suite of cloud-based solutions/services, including service maintenance.
- Advised a prominent Indonesian state-owned bank in their plan to acquire the source code that pertains to their whole customer-facing electronic banking systems, through an agreement to acquire a company’s software code access rights.
- Assisted PT GenomikSolidaritas Indonesia (“GSI”) in establishing and operating a RT-PCR (reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction) laboratory to conduct testing of Covid-19 in Indonesia. GSI Lab is the first PCR testing laboratory in Indonesia with a large capacity. It is the first laboratory that can conduct up to 5,000 tests per day. The presence of GSI Lab also helped the government in obtaining data on the real condition of the public’s Covid-19 status, which has allowed the government to implement targeted policies to combat the spread of Covid-19.
- Assisted one of the world’s foremost providers of consulting, technology, and outsourcing services company, in relation to provision of business process outsourcing (“BPO”) services to the Indonesian subsidiary of one of the world’s largest consumer goods companies.
- Advised a social media giant on the required underwater licenses (construction and sea transportation) to lay out submarine cable for a telecommunication system in Indonesia. Iqsan also advised on the relationship with the Indonesian licensed landing party when the submarine cable system landed in Indonesia and assessed the possibility of the client to obtain their own telecommunication license.
- Advised a Chinese multinational internet technology company on the applicability of Indonesian safe harbour rules for user generated content OTT platforms, including advising the client on an OTT platform’s obligation towards user generated contents available on the platform and reviewing the client’s advertising policy.
- Advised an Indonesian shipping company in relation to its proposed business to launch an online platform for cargo owners and ship owners to carry out shipping transactions
- Represented Elixir Capital in relation to the merger of one of its portfolio companies in Indonesia with several other Indonesian companies with the aim to become the largest influencer platform and network in Indonesia .
Accolades & Awards
- Ranked as Associate to Watch TMT, Chambers Asia Pacific (2022)
- Ranked as Rising Star, Asialaw Profiles (2019)